Justice Minister Jung Sung-ho formally submitted his resignation on Aug. 18, opening a leadership transition at the ministry just as South Korea's overhaul of the prosecution system moves from legislation toward implementation. The presidential office confirmed the request but asked Jung to continue performing his duties until follow-up personnel arrangements are made.
Jung had previously expressed a wish to leave for health reasons. He also linked the timing to the passage of major prosecution-reform legislation, saying that with the amended Criminal Procedure Act passed and the new prosecution structure approaching, the next phase should be handled under new leadership. His resignation is therefore both personal and institutional: the ministry is changing hands at the point where contested reforms have to work in practice.
Passing the law was not the end of the reform
Jung did not present the reform process as finished simply because bills passed. In comments reported by Korean media, he warned that the government and National Assembly are not owners of the criminal-justice system and said problems created by the amended law should be corrected quickly, even before full implementation where necessary. He has indicated that he expects to return to the National Assembly, where further legal adjustments could become part of his role.
The transition matters because the justice minister will oversee a difficult implementation period. Korea is moving toward a new division of investigative and prosecutorial functions, and the practical rules for supplementary investigations, case transfers and institutional coordination remain politically sensitive. A successor will inherit not a clean slate but a reform whose operational details are still being contested.
The resignation is also feeding speculation about a broader second cabinet reshuffle. News1 reported that calls for renewal are growing as the administration faces softer approval ratings, while the presidential office said no broader reshuffle schedule had been fixed. Jung's departure is a confirmed personnel process; a wider cabinet reset remains speculation until appointments are announced.
The immediate signal to watch is the successor. The choice will show whether the administration prioritizes continuity with the current prosecution-reform line, a more conciliatory implementation style, or a different political balance. Until that person is named and Jung's resignation is formally processed, Jung remains responsible for the ministry.
